Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Spaghetti is NOT Finger Food!

And other misuses of common sense.

I thought of this book title as I was kneeling on the floor at Mama Melrose's at MGM Studios in Walt Disney World. After failing to "sweep" daintily with the little broom and dustpan, I was using a utility towel to attempt to pick up the small, squished pieces of pasta. There, it occurred to me how many times common sense is not used.

When I had a restaurant in the picturesque, quaint town of Orleans, IN, I remember my father and I down on our knees picking up individual curds of cottage cheese as to not be smashed and rubbed in by the vacuum cleaner. Then there was the finger painting with a green bean on the high chair tray. Oh. Should I forget red Jello? Hello. It was in a cup, and Bill Cosby was no where to be seen.

That scenario was in the 1990s. To date, common sense is still being utilized. Take the political campaign for 2008. It started at the end of 2006. Shouldn't there be a law that you can only campaign in the same year as the election? And where is Bill Clinton? Is he still in the doghouse, tail and all? (RIP to Buddy the First Dog) Speaking of the doghouse, what about Obama's preacher? Is he a riot or what? Like we all haven't sat through sermons when we really wanted to scream but chose to be "politically correct"?

Now, Barbara Walters reveals her affair. Oh, please. Like we all want to picture that. Does this mean she'll be wrapped in a sheet in Vanity Fair like Miley Cyrus? Speaking of Miley Montana, if it's not clothing, don't get photographed in it. (I'd have shots like that except it wouldn't fit on a 52" widescreen TV in HDTV -- whatever the heck that is.)

So, with that out of my system, do you have any misuses of common sense to post?

Thanks to my cousin Marty who inspired me to blog. He's younger (in dog years ) than me, and I figured this is cheaper than therapy.

Next time: Teenagers of Today.

1 comment:

Martin said...

I think I blogged about a recent encounter with a failure to use common sense. I work during off hours so the firm sends a Towne Car to bring me to work.

One day it was raining and I went out to get in the car which I had been told was waiting. It wasn't there but about a block and a half up the street there was a Towne Car sitting there. I waived for him to come but he didn't move.

Finally I walked up there in the rain without an umbrella. It was the car. I asked him what address he had. He had my address but he was a good block and a half away. I asked him why he stopped there and he said, "Oh, sorry. GPS say I reach destination."

Well, you can't argue with GPS, can you?